I don't know where to start. I've got another "greenie" in the chair next to me. :) I am no longer in Hualien. I now live back in Taipei in a place called Keelung City, Taiwan’s second most beautiful place. It’s in the north near a big bay, there are a lot of beautiful hills and our apartment is at the very top of one! This apartment was found by a previous missionary named Elder “Payne,” go figure, ha-ha, he was famous for being such a workaholic. He did 700 pushups a day and I guess he thought it'd be cool to find an apartment in the boonies in a really nice complex on the top of a hill! I still don't know the full name of our area, we are completely lost, but it’s awesome! I love white washing an area, it is a blast!
It all started on Thursday night when the AP called at 9:12 at night while we were teaching a lesson. Although we didn't answer the phone, I already new what was coming. On the bike ride home I decided to call Elder Dickson at a red light and ask him the details. He played it up and said, “Call us back when you get home. We have some accountability information to follow up on.” I felt he was bluffing. When I got home I called him back and he asked me if Hank had passed his interview or not. After I responded yes, he said, “Great! That’s all, talk to you later.” Two seconds after I hung up he called back and said he had another piece of information to tell me, having to do with me going to Taipei to pick up my greeny!! Ha-ha, I felt it was coming but I was still shocked! So my comp and I went up to the mission office in Taipei the next day because he was called to train as well. We went through the same routine of singing “Called to Serve” as the new missionaries came into the room. They called out “Elder Leavitt and Elder Daniels,” and I am his trainer.
Elder Leavitt is awesome! His personality is the spitting image of my beloved Elder Larson. He is very humble, relaxed, yet full of faith. He isn't shy about sharing his testimony! I can't wait to work with him. Elder Dickson said he and Elder Gassin tried five times to get me called to back to San Chong, however, President denied it every time. This tells me that there is something important waiting here in Ji Long.
When we rode the train back to Hualien and talked about our backgrounds. He is from Washington DC and his parents currently live in Salt Lake City. Everyone in his family served missions except his sister, however, everyone is married in the temple. My companion speaks fluent French, he was a foreign exchange student for 2 years in France, and he also has a pilot license. AWESOME huh!
There is a lot in store for me to learn in my last two transfers. I imagine both will be spent with Elder Leavitt!
When we got back to Hualien we got right to work teaching lessons. His Chinese is very good already and the Taiwanese think it’s cute. :)
Friday was the busiest day of my life! I almost died because there were about 10 activities going on, including a baptismal service, and I had to pack ALL of my stuff. On a sad note, news that hurts the heart, two hours before the service, Hank decided not to be baptized. He is boggled down by a whole bunch of abstract questions such as, “Where did Heavenly Father come from?” It doesn't matter in the end because He is a Creator. Enough said. But anyway, he felt he needs more time, so we respected that. It was really sad but it’s good he wasn't baptized at this time. On a positive note, Peter and William have both been baptized and confirmed successfully! It was an amazing service!!! The Spirit was really strong. Jeff baptized William and my greenie baptized Peter. They both failed on the first try, so they were both dunked twice. :)
HOORAY! Their testimonies were very strong. Immediately after the meeting I had to go and send my luggage to my new area so I didn't get to stay around afterward. :( Oh well. After the luggage was sent, we took Jeff and William to meet with a man and his son who have been investigating the church for seven years and have never attended! However, after some seriously heart wrenching testimonies, Jack and his son finally committed, and came to church! Sunday was also busy. Jack came, but Hank didn't and I wasn’t able to see him before I left Hualien. Oh man, but he will continue to meet with my companion and Elder Lords, the missionary who will replace me. Elder Lords was in my MTC district. ( Elder Lords will be returning on the same flights as Jonathan. I don’t think they know that yet.) Sunday was awesome. I bore my testimony. It was difficult to leave Hualien, that’s all I have to say. We also performed a special musical number, “Nearer My God to Thee,” and the spirit was awesome!!! After that the District President gave a powerful talk concerning the importance of doctrine.
Sunday night we had a missionary fireside and of course it was another HUGE success! We had a scavenger hunt and it was the most hilarious sight in the world watching everyone solving the clues that we gave through scripture and trying to find hidden puzzle pieces around the church, ha-ha. The Taiwanese get really fired up over that type of activity. Afterwards I gave a talk on the Atonement and we watched a video called "To This End Was I Born." It was powerful and once again, this was a fireside that produced two different kinds of tears, laughter, and emotional, ha-ha!
Sunday night Jeff called me and sang “Our Savior’s Love” over the phone. Then he shared his testimony leaving me with an invite to never leave the church. I don't think I've had a more emotional experience on my mission. I love Jeff. He is my best friend and the most converted person I know. I also said goodbye to Susan and her mother, Wang Mama, the person who called you, Mom, ha-ha, and to Peter, William and loads of other loved ones. It was hard.
Monday morning everyone came to eat breakfast. We took pictures and Elder Leavitt and I left.
Times up. I'm in Keelung now; we cleaned the house all day. I love you family!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment