Friday, July 31, 2009

It's been a great week!

Hello, sorry, I’m sending this one day late. The server was down yesterday so I didn't have time to send my email off. They gave everyone in the mission who didn't get off emails due to a broken server another day to write home.

We haven't dumped our trash in about 7 weeks. Our freezers are overflowing with mango pits and banana skins as well as left over rice and noodles that we were unable to finish. It’s difficult because you have to be there when the trash man comes or else it doesn't get taken out, and even when you do get it out, they don't accept it half the time because they don't trust that Americans know how to recycle. They rip the bags open and if they see anything not unrecyclable, they will throw the whole bag out and we have to take it back home.

Now to answer your questions...

1. Transfers will be on Monday the 17th

2. Sister Durrant from the mission office invited me to tell her when I was planning to head back home and I told her I needed some time to decide. I never got my answer until I decided to act and call back telling her that I would not be extending. After the phone call the Spirit confirmed to me that the decision I made was right. I need to get home and start school, and regardless, Heavenly Father knows how to take care of His work. His work continuing is not dependent on whether or not I decide to extend. I would love to extend, but I've got to start life sometime, I will be headed home December 22, 2009. (Happy mother!)

3. Yes start the readmissions, I will be returning to BYU. “RISE AND SHOUT THE COUGARS ARE OUT, THEY’RE ON THE TRAIL TO FAME AND GLORY…”

4. I’m not sure what works best, basically for the next semester, I would like to enroll in some GE's and Chinese classes. Maybe you could find a counselor to help me set up a solid RM schedule, or I'm sure the mission has some sort of system that I could use to sign up for classes. I imagine they do because this situation probably occurs a lot. I can find out this week. Lastly, just in case it’s really what I want to do, see what I would need to do to get into ROTC. I still need to spend some time praying about that one, however it'd be nice to know what the requirements are.

Well, family, this week was great! William Gao is so set for baptism! His interview will be on Saturday. He is so funny. In high school the term I would use to describe him is “Scody mug,” ha-ha-ha. He is really scruffy, his English is really lazy sounding, and he’s just really funny. He's changed a lot since meeting with us and learning the gospel. He's got new friends, Jeff especially, and they hang out all the time. He has finished all of the lessons and is ready to go. He had a faith strengthening trial on Sunday when he realized his money had been stolen out of his locked apartment. After a lesson on trials and partaking of the sacrament, he understood that importance and thanked God for giving him so many trials in the closing prayer in our last lesson with him.

We've been focusing on repentance and baptism as we teach and we've been seeing A LOT of blessings. THE COMMANDMENT 3 Nephi 27:20!!

William Gao is awesome. We've met with Jeff and his sister a couple times now and she is going to be baptized as well. The lin family is progressing slowly, we only get to meet with them once a week.

Peter Zhang is working on giving up coffee, and he wants to be baptized but he's got to fully repent first. He is 50 years old, had met 3 years ago with missionaries, and now he's for real. I asked him last time, “What would you rather have, remission of sins or life time supply of coffee?” He said remission of sins. He is awesome

We had a missionary fireside a couple nights ago. I think this was different from any missionary fireside anyone has every seen in Taiwan. Typically, when members think of a missionary fireside they think of someone talking from a pulpit and eating refreshments. That is why they stopped doing them in the Jian branch 8 months ago. This time we wanted to give all the members a missionary work “recharge!!” We decide to make it half funny and half spiritual. For the funny part, my companion and I performed on the stage in the gym, pretending to be midget missionaries. Everyone laughed themselves to tears as we and the other elders substituted their arms for ours, and we acted out "an average day in the life of a missionary." We shaved, brushed out teeth, worked out, ate, contacted, and tracted. It’s on tape see you can see it in when I get home. It was so funny! Afterwards, we went into the chapel and watched a missionary video that was spiritually filling, just music and pictures of people being baptized. The movie was called "Believe." Everyone cried again and then Sister Lin and I sang a duet. Last, we invited Jeff to come up and share his testimony about the blessings he has seen through helping the missionaries. It was AMAZING!! They want to have a fireside regularly now. :)

I have good news! A brother and sister I taught in Tucheng are going to be baptized, first the sister and then her brother a little later. They just need permission from their parents... They ARE AWESOME and will both go on missions! Sandy wrote me a letter and told me, it was awesome news.

Times up. I love you family. Elder Daniels

No comments: