Thursday, June 18, 2009

An investigator nicknamed "Fruitcake"

Today our whole district went up in the mountains to the water curtain caves!! It was awesome and we got soaking wet, we got to walk in water. :) That’s as close as we missionaries get to swimming, besides baptism, haha. I’m getting a serious farmer’s tan.

This past week was fantastic, mostly the second half. I don't know what happened, but the first half of the week I was in a weird sort of funk, I don't know how to explain beyond that basically I couldn't speak Chinese, but it all ended up being really good in the end. President and his wife came back down from Taipei to have their last fireside in Hualien before they go back. President loves Hualien because he spent 15 months of his mission here. The fireside was really good and I got to sit down with the Nielsons personally and ask questions and have my last interview with President. It was a really special experience. The Nielsons are really kind people, they gave me a million sincere compliments that made me feel really good. They talked about charity for the longest time and it really helped me grasp a better understanding of it being the key to bring us closer to Christ’s atonement, etc. When they go back they will be living in the very south east part of Utah. I forgot the name, oh man. But every year at conference they will have a reunion! That will be fun to go to some day. I sure will miss the Nielsons a lot, President reminded me 10 times in our interview together that I need to give full support to President Grimley.

So yeah, the work goes on, President is back in Taipei now, the transfer ends next week and we'll have a new mission president. Crazy stuff!!!

As for the work, recently it’s been FUN!!!! As always, haha, we've been finding, finding and finding, but we teach when we find, so it’s been good. Yesterday was probably the best day I've ever had on the mission. We had 4 lessons at night, and one in the morning, and one big juicy block of time in the afternoon of proselyting. Afternoon proselyting can be difficult, however, we worked hard and Heavenly Father blessed us to set up 10 people!!!! And only 7 of them were for the Sisters, so we got three for ourselves, hahaha. It was awesome! That night we taught some really good lessons. Elder Dickson and I teach well together. It’s nice to work with another missionary who has a lot of experience. The last lesson of the night was best. There was an old family of 8, and they all had different circumstances, opinions and religious backgrounds. They all, ironically, live out of our area and were only visiting from Taipei. However, they were legit, and they were really touched by the Joseph Smith story. They loved the idea of their family being able to come together and agree on religion, so they all decided to reset up even though they all live in different areas, we're hooking missionaries up all across the world, from Florida, to Germany, to Taipei. Cool stuff, huh.

Two years of missionary work is similar to today’s allotted amount of email time...it FLIES! I can't believe its June 17th! I still don't know if I'm going to extend or not, luckily I don't need to make the decision yet, but it will have to be made next transfer along with my plans for life, hahaha, I should figure those out as well.

By the way, our one REAL progressing investigator, who we have nicknamed "Fruitcake" ha, he has shown a lot of progression. We're still unclear on his situation or whether or not he is a liar, but next Monday night we will find out if he really has triplets and a wife. We thought we met his mom who supposedly died a couple weeks ago, so that is why we are unsure.

Well the time is gone I LOVE YOU!!!!! I lost my wallet and then found it!!!
Church is true! ELDER DANIELS

No comments: