Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Are there any missionaries here with an "elect" family to teach?

Man, oh, man, things are going great. Brother Lean was baptized and confirmed. We let members in the ward do it because it’s a good opportunity for them. The Church is so, so, so new here in Taiwan. There is nobody in our ward who was born in the Church who over the age of 19. Everyone in Taiwan seems to be 1st generation converts. The church is growing SO FAST here. It is still in its pioneer stages. Elder Rasband of the Seventy came and did a fireside here in Taipei. It was awesome, because Joyce (Sister Wang, who wants to be called by her given name) was able to come and she brought her whole family. The really cool thing is, the morning before the fireside, we had a mission conference and Elder Rasband led it. He asked, “Are there any missionaries out there right now who feel like they have an ‘Elect’ family?” Elder Barton stood right up, and Elder Rasband centered his talk around them. So we were given a lot of insight from a member of the seventy on how to help our investigator. It was great.

Later that night, we had the feeling we needed to invite Joyce to come and bring her family to hear Elder Rasband speak to the members of Taiwan. As soon as we found out that Joyce could attend, we called President and said, "she's coming and she's bringing the kids!" Ha. President told Elder Rasband, and the coolest thing happened. That night when we were sitting there with this family, Elder Rasband stood up to speak and said, "I feel like there is reason for me to change what I was planning on talking about tonight...." Then, he spoke and his entire talk was directed towards Joyce's biggest problems with the Church, such as, why our church is different from other Christian churches, etc. Ha, ha. Elder Barton and I just looked at each other and smiled.

After the meeting, we took Joyce and her family up to meet Elder Rasband and his wife who gave them hugs. Elder Rasband said into Joyce’s ear, "I hope you will join this Church." It was insane! Joyce really liked it and she especially liked Sister Rasband, because she focused her talk on how much she LOVES missionaries. Joyce also loves missionaries and actually wants all her kids to serve missions. She just can't get over the fact that her baptism doesn't count and that her church is wrong, but she's improving.

Today we went to her house, taking the other elders in our district. We made breakfast for her kids and had morning studies with Joyce. It went really well, but Joyce is still sitting on the fence. We told her that sometime she will have to make a decision, and she said that she needs time. We asked her, well what are you going to do with that time? She's just sitting on the fence, she's got one foot in and one foot out. One cool thing actually came up in our studies was about sign seekers. They will get their signs but not unto salvation (something like that). It is D&C 63:7. It’s interesting though. We show faith when we make decisions, and it’s that faith that will help us make it unto salvation. Yeah, anyway, she'll be baptized, I know it.

This work is difficult, but who said salvation was easy? We're being seen every day!!! The seed is planted her in Taiwan and it’s about to explode!!!! It's already started.....

I'm going to miss Elder Barton. Man, it’s hard. He's such a good guy and he puts up with me. Ha, ha, I was such a prideful trainee, but he has always been so patient. He's really the only person I know here in Taiwan and he's an awesome friend. He doesn't want to go home at all. The only reason he is going home is because his family misses him, he always says. I have learned so much from this elder. He helped me build a strong foundation for my mission. Heavenly Father looks out for us. He answers our prayers.....

Well, I'm sorry if this wasn't this most interesting letter, but these are the things that are on my mind. Thanks so much for the awesome pictures, keep them coming. If you get a chance, send some pictures of the family so I can share them with our investigators.
Oh man, the church is so true....... STRIKE for Zion!!!!!!!
I love you SO MUCH. If I've learned anything on my mission, it’s about how much a mother and father means to us growing up. HAPPY FATHER’S DAY DAD!!!!!!!

No comments: