Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Tough times and good times

Hello!! It’s great reading your letters. I love how I'm still thought of at home, even if the reason is that I am being blamed for leaving stuff out or making a mess, ha.
Oh boy. Things are getting a little more difficult here. Heavenly Father is really testing our faith. We lost the Huang family. He had his baptismal interview and didn't quite pass because he feels he is still not ready to keep the Word of Wisdom. We talked to him about it and he started doing better, but then bad news happened. He has a niece in the ward and she has been trying to get us to meet with her mother who opposes the church. She finally got an appointment for us, but we went on exchanges that night, everything got really mixed up and we forgot to go to the appointment. Her mother got angry because she bought pizza for us and nobody showed up. So the mother told her daughter, Huang’s niece, that she can’t go to church anymore. The niece’s husband (our m/m leader) told the mom it was because we were visiting Brother Huang, her own brother and they don’t get along. The m/m leader was confused. We were actually on exchanges and we were with the Wang family. Anyway, it ended up with the mother calling her brother, Huang brother, and told him a lot of mean things. I don't really understand the whole situation, but basically, Huang brother decided that last night when we visited him, he would chug a whole bottle of beer in front of us, just to make us angry. Then he told us to never come back. Sorry if that whole story isn’t clear. Computers are difficult.
So we lost Huang brother who was in doing so well, who had stopped drinking for three weeks. Heavenly Father has given him so many chances, but he just can't listen. We can’t contact his two children who have grown really fond of the missionaries coming over, but Huang brother also forced them against us as well. Man, you can see what Satan is trying to do, he's trying to get us discouraged right now because so many things are going wrong. That same night all of our appointments were cancelled for some reason. It's rough, especially when I think about those two little kids that are trapped with their lost father, but we've refused to lose faith. We're still going to baptize this transfer, so yeah, things have been difficult lately, but we haven't lost faith....
We just found two families who are awesome, especially the Zhu family. They love rock climbing, hiking and all types of awesome family stuff. They have a mei mei who is 9 years old and she is so cute with the biggest pigtails you could imagine. They are progressing and the mom is awesome. All of our investigators are keeping their commitments right now to read and pray.
The other day we had a wonderful family night with the Wang family, the mom who is Presbyterian. It WENT SO WELL! I love their family. They are so awesome and the little kids just sit there and study and read books about reptiles. Elder Barton and I both decided that we needed to go on a picnic with this family, so that is the plan for today. The kids love us and they have a good mom She has so much faith in her Savior. We've continued the quest to help her get a testimony of the Book of Mormon. SHE IS SO CLOSE!!!!! She knows its true, she is just a afraid to admit it. Yesterday we asked her if she knew the Book of Mormon was the word of God, and we just waited for an answer. She didn't say anything for 5 minutes. She is still searching, she said. We told her we were going to ask her again today. Man, SO MANY miracles have happened with this lady as we've been teaching her. I wish I could write them all. As soon as she gets a testimony of the Book of Mormon, then BAM! We're gonna have Taiwan's next Relief Society president because she has been searching so hard and as soon as she opens her heart, her testimony well be Insane!!!!! The Spirit told me to teach her that the Book of Mormon answers questions of the soul that nobody else can answer. The Book of Mormon has SO MUCH power. I promised her that if she starts her reading with a question that is burning inside of her, she will find the answer to that question through her reading and the Holy Ghost will bear witness to it of her.
She has shown more interest in church. We told her all about the meetings. We taught her about temple and showed her a movie about temples. It really opened her heart a little. Man, there is so much power in this gospel. I'm so glad it’s Heavenly Father’s work and not mine. I've learned to just give it to Him and not get discouraged, just to let Him decide the path for these people he's let us meet.
I can't even begin to tell you how true this church is. I've learned through experience that just a simple heartfelt testimony is enough to unlock the gate to people's hearts and let the Spirit enter in. I love this work so much
There is so much to write but I have to write my letter to the President now. I'm sorry if these letters don't make much sense all the time. I kinda just write... hahaha. I love you so much. Prayers are the key to an eternal family. Thank you for teaching me that. I love you.

No comments: