Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Second new bike named Kathy 2

Hey, hey, hey!
First, to answer the questions: I painted my bike (Kathy II) and it is ugly! Don't think anyone will be stealing it any time soon. It’s not very hot here just yet, but its still pretty dang hot and windy. It’s not too bad though, I've gotten used to the sweating and humidity. At least I don't sweat as much as some of the other elders around here. They could ring out their clothes and fill a glass at the end of the day, ha.

Let’s see, there are street vendors everywhere, and scooters, and families on scooters, and families and dogs on scooters, and families and dogs and stores on scooters, ha, it’s crazy. It is very smoggy. We're right in the thick of the city. It is city EVERYwhere though. I'm in Elder Bahr's old area. (Elder Bahr is our stake president’s son who is now home from his mission). Apparently, he was a very “Lehai” missionary, that translates to mean EXTREMELY, EXTREMELY AWESOME. They say he was a legend in this mission and yes, when you right letters, just send them to the mission office and then they will bring them to us. We can only read letters on Preparation days.

General Conference was amazing. We watched it in English and I definitely got more out of it then I have ever from any other conference. I was thinking when Elder Oaks gave his talk, “WHY do I know that Christ lives, why do I KNOW that we have a prophet today.” It is because, when he speaks to us, the Lord speaks through him, to each one of us individually. Everyone in the world can have that feeling that the prophet is speaking directly to them about their own thoughts, feelings and behaviors. That’s why "I know we have a prophet today,” because nobody else on the earth has the power to speak to each of us individually like that. I talked to some missionaries afterward and we all got different things out of his talk, things that apply to us as individuals. So, "I KNOW we have a modern day prophet and he testifies of Christ", so that’s how "I KNOW" we have a Savior. If you have a testimony of one thing in this church, you have a testimony of everything else.

I'm learning from an investigator that you have to have an open mind and you have to have questions in order gain a testimony that these things are true. We recently have been meeting with Sister Wang and her family of 5 kids!!!!!!!! So beautiful, they are so perfect. They study together at the table at night. My favorite one is the little mei mei, her English name is Sabrina. She loves to draw. Sister Wang is a zhanglaojiao member..... Presbyterian. She has faith in Jesus Christ and she has faith that if she trusts in Him, she will be okay, that He will take care of anything. This lady lives a perfect life, she is so humble. The thing is, her minister tells her about the Mormons and how our book is evil. The first time we met with her, she was worrying about the eternity of our souls and if we would be cast into the eternal fire or not. She has closed her mind. She doesn't think about where she came from, what her purpose is or what is after this life. She doesn't care that she could live with her family forever, she just knows that if she trusts in Jesus Christ, she will be saved. BUT, as we have been teaching her, (she is too nice to not tell us to come back) and the Spirit has been opening her mind. She's starting to have so many questions, and she thinks everything we tell her makes sense. I asked her, “So, DO you think that if your minister had never told you anything about our church, would you be willing to be baptized?” She said she thinks so, ha. She feels like the Bible is good enough, even after all these scriptures we've read that show differently. The main thing is that she's reading. We bear testimony to her often, and we brought a member to come visit her. I'm glad she's reading, because I know that anyone who reads that book will have their mind opened, and she will see the light that this church brings. When we first gave her Moroni's promise to pray about, she prayed that Heavenly Father would save our souls, and then she asked if these things were true. She said she didn't receive an answer, that she had doubt in her mind the whole time, and she even admitted it, (sorry if this story isn't making any sense), but anyway, her mind is being opened by the Spirit. I feel after our visits she is denying our word less and she is starting to have more interest. I know that if she can open her mind and heart, she will have her prayers answered. She already has faith in Christ. These type of investigators make the best members down the road because they change so much, and then the light of the gospel SHINES through them.

Alright, the Huang family. This guy has changed so, so, so, so much. He has so many problems in his life right now. He was telling us the other day about how he has friends with the Taiwanese mafia and has plans to hire them to "take care of his wife who cheated on him", but after a lot of reasoning, we got him to cool down. It’s hard for him to stop drinking, he also lost his job, and we're going to help him move this week. Poor guy, his life is so messed up, he can't read the Chinese Book of Mormon very well, but he tries! He started having his little kids help him!!!! Every day he goes across the street to a park by his house and prays vocally that Heavenly Father will help him. The Spirit has changed him so much. We got him to come to conference with his kids and he's been so much better. He's starting to treat his kids better and his kids are starting to open up. I played ball with the 8-year-old didi (little boy) yesterday and man oh man, did this kid come out of his shell. We're still working with the mei mei, (little girl) who is 10 and so, so, so shy, but she is starting to come out, too. She prays by herself every night!!!! Oh man.... I love this work, and I love that Heavenly Father allows me to be a part of it, and I love how it changes peoples lives. I know that the way to the Taiwanese people’s hearts is though their kids.......

My hour is up... I love you.

No comments: