The words I will use to describe Elder Bednar’s visit are as follows. “It was a mind wrenching, heart rapturing, 3 hours of ultimate edification!" He truly is an apostle called by God.
He gave a fireside Sunday night that we were unable to attend because we were on the train up from Hualian. However, we were able to attend the mission conference held Monday morning from 9:00 to 12:00. It was just him and us 160 missionaries in a chapel with three hours permitted just to questions and answers. It was very unique because he, being an apostle of God and a communications major, used some very interesting teaching methods that invited everyone to have the ability to be edified, although one question was asked. I don't know how to explain it fully yet, however, I took a lot away from it. He taught us how to help our investigators and our future children progress in the gospel, not by their mouths, but by their actions. He was opposed to Lists, “Four things to do, yadda yadda yadda.” Instead he supports the art of asking them what procedures they will take in order to maintain certain promised blessings. We were taught the proper way to help a person understand with their mind and their heart, a gospel principle. Sheesh. It was mind boggling and SO, SO, SO powerful. The Spirit was the teacher.
He shared a lot of AMAZING stories. One involved a sick man in the hospital who was asking for a blessing to be healed. Elder Bednar asked him, “Do you have the faith not to be healed?" After a week he decided "yes,” however, Elder Bednar didn't tell us the end of the story. He did this several times. He would teach the principle, and not share the conclusion. Why, because the will of the Father was done and that’s all that matters. The principle was taught. I personally learned a lot through this teaching method.
He resolved all the questions that I did and didn't ask that day, and he accounted it all to my preparation. Oh boy, it was good to have him come...
Afterwards, we took a big picture an Elder Bednar left to catch his flight to go to the 19th meeting he'd be holding in 3 days time. We then ate lunch as a mission. It was good to see all the missionaries and all the friends that I have made on the mission. :) It was good to see Elder Gong, Elder Teshima and Elder Santa Cruz from the Philippines. (He is my Grandson!) I won't see most of my friends for quite sometime because we “east coast missionaries” rarely come up to Taibei. Most of the friends I've made on my mission are going home pretty soon, and probably before my time is up in Hualian. I'm becoming an old missionary, but not really, I still have a bit of time.
Sorry I forgot to mention last email about being called to be zone leader. Time ran out. That phone call caught me pretty off guard, and I still feel unprepared, but it’s a blessing. I’d felt like some sort of calling was coming, so yeah, it’s exciting. It will be different though, because I never went through the role of district leader. Anyway, I'll actually be headed up to Taibei tomorrow morning again for Zone leader council. We call it “Jedi council,” which happens once a transfer. That should be fun.
Moving on, the church (building) here is HUGE! It’s as big as the church in Taibei. There is a full size basketball court on the third floor! I'm really excited for that. There are two branches that meet here, each has about 50 members, and I've already gotten to meet most of them. I'm still working on everyone’s full name, that used to be hard a couple months ago, but Chinese names are starting to become easier to remember now.
We've got three in our teaching pool now. One WILL FOR SURE be baptized, his name is Jeff and he and I are best friends. He's seventeen, but has one obstacle and that is his parents who do not want him to be baptized. The Lord will provide a way and He is warming their hearts slowly. The other is a FAMILY, but they didn't come to church last week. Pray for them. W gave one named Suzanne to the other elders. She is a nurse at a hospital and so nice! She wants to be baptized with her kid, and she has received an answer to her prayers. She is the type of mom who gives a lot of stuff to the missionaries...hahaha, the fridge is full. We teach English to nurses every Friday and it’s SO, SO funny!!! I have pictures.
So yeah, pray for them and especially Jeff who's fasted twice, once with us and once on his own free will. :) We played water balloon volleyball with the youth last week, it was great!
I just remembered some bad news, but it’s funny when you look at it now. Five days ago I found out that I missed being deported from Taiwan by 12 days!!!! I didn't renew my visa, and it was a blessing that I moved to Hualian to be with Elder Dickson so he could remind me. The office never gave me a phone call, so I had to pay a $120 fine.... I’M SO SORRY! I have that on my list to work off after the mission. If I had waited 12 more days, I would have been sent home, oh boy. God lives and He sends angels to help us out. Thanks, Elder Dickson
Speaking of Elder Dickson, he is AWESOME. He actually has ties with Elder Bednar, so I got to say hello instantly. Elder Dickson is from Austin, TX. I learn so much from him and it’s great to have an older companion for once. Hahaha. He shows me the ways around here in Hualian. We get along VERY, VERY, VERY well and we see miracles because of his faith. We have 3 others who will be adding to the pool shortly.
I think my English would get better if I wrote more letters to friends. I haven't written anyone for 3 transfers. I sent small bound copies of “Preach My Gospel” to TJ and Dustin but had no reply and that was a long time ago. If you have any news on their missions let me know. :)
I've been “Dear John'd,” my mission is now complete! I am about to laminate the letter. It’s from Ashley and unfortunately it says the words, "Elder Daniels" on it and not "Dear Jon," hahaha. I'm happy for her. I told her to bring her family to my homecoming anyway.
I heard a funny story by President Boone in the MTC about an elder who was dear john'd. He said the girl writing the elder asked for her picture back, so he decided he would get pictures of girlfriends from all the other elders and send them back to her together saying, "I forgot which one was you. Take yours and send the rest back."
Don’t worry, I’m good.
Elder Barton is doing very well. I got a letter from him, he is a Marine fighter pilot now. (He is at the Naval Academy in Annapolis). He can't get married quite yet, but he's got some prospects. He's had a lot of impact on me in my mission. He is very enthusiastic about life and still contacts his new members on a weekly basis. He tries to discourage me from joining the "boy scouts," referring to the Air Force. He says he wants me to join the Navy where there is more air craft and more opportunity to fly. haha. I still haven't decided what I'm going to do completely though, whatever the Lords wants. Maybe I'll be a “trench digger in Alabama," hahaha, love you Dad. I hope to keep up my language abilities and have Chinese as an asset. Who knows, wherever the wind takes me.
I love missionary work. I've started to learn how to be myself and a missionary at the same time. Elder Dickson has been a great contribution to the help. :) The Lord is really molding me, and the change isn't just in my head, it’s in my heart. I love this gospel
I hope things are going well back home. I love you all so much, and I can feel your prayers. Thanks for all of the support. :) I love talk about the faith of my parents to my investigators and my friends. I know you knew, that’s all that matters. That’s my goal for my kids. They don't need to memorize the scriptures, they just need to know that I know it’s true! Thanks for your example. I love you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment