Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I love being a missionary!

Oh man, Thank you so much for the pictures of the kids!!! Oh man, they are so cute and getting so big! Matthew was so handsome in that baptism picture! Those pictures are great, keep them coming!

Things are still coming along well over here on the other side of the world!!! A couple of our families have fallen out, but we've thrown a couple back in. Isn't it so awesome how Heavenly Father gives us blessings if we simply have faith. He wants to give us all these blessings but he always says, “I just want you to trust me first.” And then it happens. I've learned a lot about giving people the right to use their agency lately. There are so many missionaries who think that these people need to be pressured the whole way into the baptismal font, and then they put it into the ward’s hands. I find it a lot easier to give them agency, bring the spirit into the
lesson and simply answer their questions. Eventually through patience, they will realize that the questions they are asking are really questions of the soul and it’s not the missionaries answering them. It’s the Holy Ghost helping them remember who they are personally.

Have you ever wondered why we testify of Christ? It is because everyone has the light of Christ. At one point in everyone’s existence they have known Christ, during this life, or their life before. They have felt Christ’s love, maybe not in this life, but they sure felt it before. That’s why they are here in the first place. So, the reason we testify of Christ is to help people remember that love, and help them remember who they are.

That’s something I've really learned lately, and that’s why I've learned how important it is to give people their agency to choose, and not be pressured.

I had the opportunity to go on an exchange with a very new missionary like me, a little older though, and we had they opportunity to teach a 78 year old man about Christ and the restoration. He loved everything we told him and he can't wait to be baptized. He said that he felt that everything we taught him was true and that we were an answer to his prayers. I thought about that for a second. Am I really an answer to this man’s prayers?? How is that possible? Oh man, I've never really thought about that before, but then I started thinking about what it says in Abraham and the D&C about being prepared before this life. Heavenly Father was preparing his missionaries before this life to teach to specific people. He prepared us to know what we needed to do to find these people on earth and what we needed to do to help them accept Christ’s true gospel. Right now, through the spiritual preparation and prayer for the Holy Ghost, we can receive the revelation that we need to know to teach the people that Heavenly Father has prepared for us! Isn't that so insane!!!!!

Heavenly Father is so smart. I'm so grateful to be a missionary. My mission means everything to me. Recently, I've been thinking about honesty and sincerity, and why are they important in missionary work. I was thinking about it one day in personal study. (You can think of it like baby sitting), when you hire a babysitter, who do you want to hire? Somebody honest and trustworthy. Somebody who is going to be diligent and take care of your children, someone who will love your kids. Heavenly Father is the same way with his children. He loves them and wants worthy missionaries who are diligent and obedient and loving to take care of his children. Man, honesty and sincerity are so important. It’s so important for us to remember that salvation isn't cheap, and it comes through a lot of trials, testifying that Christ will always ease those burdens. I've learned so much about faith and how key it is to our salvation, and that’s why it would be the first principle of the gospel. You can always have more faith, it’s nothing to be content with.

Hahaha. I'm sorry this letter sounds like a talk. It’s just a couple things that have been going all over my mind lately, among many other things, hahaha. I'm so lost all the time, there are so many things we don't understand. Thank goodness we have a Father in heaven who can help us out when we're most confused, hahaha.

I love it here so, so, so much. "My mission means everything to me."
Yeah, I stole that quote from Elder Holland.... because he is the man. Taiwan is so cool...... and it is PACKED with families. Well, I gotta write the president’s letter, love you, Elder Daniels

No comments: